Leave mold remediation to the experts.
Q: How do you deal with mold?
A: Mold remediation requires a team of trained, certified, and experienced technicians. Restorations by Highmark’s team of trusted technicians use a variety of techniques to remediate mold in your home. Steps include: moisture assessment; microbial sampling; identification of the source and causes of mold growth; safe removal of damaged materials; containment; and clean-up.
This is not a DIY job and should be handled by a trained professional to ensure the mold is properly removed with the right equipment.
Q: Are all molds dangerous?
A: In short, no, but there are some dangerous types to be aware of. Exposure to mold can be linked to negative health effects, but depends on the type of mold and health status of the person. There are literally hundreds of different household molds generalized into three categories: allergenic, pathogenic, and toxigenic.
Allergenic mold is unlikely to cause illness, but may a person may notice heightened allergies, while pathogenic mold can cause infection in a healthy or unhealthy person. Mycotoxins, a known toxigenic mold, travel through the air on very small particles and can be inhaled. Mycotoxins can cause a toxic response in humans and even animals.
Q: Will it be safe to live in our home again if mold has been found?
A: Molds are very common in buildings and homes. In nearly all cases, yes you will be able to live in your home if mold has been found, however, the underlying cause of the mold must be found and dealt with properly.
Q: Where is mold most commonly found in homes?
A: Household mold is primarily found in places with excessive moisture. Mold thrives in damp, humid areas, such as basements, attics, bathrooms, and around heating and cooling appliances. Other areas to find mold may be behind wallpaper or drywall, underneath carpeting or upholstery, and air ducts.
Q: Can mold grow in areas where it has been wet even if it’s dry now?
A: Mold spores are ever-present and are activated by the right growing conditions, including humidity or moisture. Mold can remain inactive or dormant for years under the right circumstances. To prevent future mold growth, be sure to keep areas dry and well-ventilated and remove any mold contaminated materials.
Q: How can I be sure that mold didn’t grow before we got things dried out?
A: Our mold testing processes and procedures will detect the presence of mold; if any indication of mold is found, we’ll take the proper steps to thoroughly remediate and eradicate it.
Q: We can’t stay in our home until it’s fixed, but I’m not sure where we should go. What are our options?
A: Our concierge service can help with lining up accommodations in the short term, such as hotel rooms, as well as living quarters. We know that extensive repairs or rebuilding can require weeks or months away from home. We’ll do whatever it takes to help find the right accommodations for you, your family, and your pets—until you can return home again. Assistance and information are just a phone call away at 952-882-8904.